Andy's Math/CS page

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Going Live

Coming soon: irrefutable evidence that I exist in the physical world! To anyone in the San Diego area, I am giving a talk this Wednesday:

(Update: the talk has been delivered, and the powerpoint is here. Pdf version is here, thanks to the mysterious S...)

Property Testing-- A talk by Andy Drucker

Property testing is a recently developed algorithmic
paradigm inspired by the need for fast (even
constant-time!) approximate solutions to problems with
very large data sets. I will introduce the field,
give representative examples of testing algorithms and
their analysis, and describe lower bounds for the model.

At UCSD, in 4109 EBU3b (CSE building). I will link to my powerpoint when it's complete, should be essentially self-contained.

Despite its bland label, property testing is a fascinating area, and I am looking forward to sharing some of what I've learned about it--so be there!


Addendum: Here is the modest wisdom I have gained from this experience:

i) Don't put too much information on one slide.

ii) Do a practice run--it really helps, and in this case, also made me realize point i).

iii) Don't be afraid to focus on simple results in a talk.

iv) If you are preparing a talk partly to help learn a subject (as I was), you should realistically expect to learn more about public speaking and pedagogy.

5 Comments:

  • Might you, perhaps, film it live and streaming for direct-to-blog viewing? Your distant fans will thank you.

    Or perhaps you would consider posting your PowerPoint slide show...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:11 AM  

  • Hi Chanele-
    the slide show will be going up soon. I don't know what strings I'd have to pull to get it filmed, and as far as my public speaking skills go, this will be a journeyman effort... not sure I really want the camera rolling.
    Thanks for your interest!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:28 AM  

  • pls, post the pdf of your slides for those of us that don't have MS

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:55 AM  

  • anon- OK, I'll try to figure that out.

    talk's at 3, by the way.

    By Blogger Andy D, at 8:17 PM  

  • Hi,
    I only read this just now... Converting from PowerPoint to PDF is trivial with OpenOffice.org; I've converted and uploaded the file here (1.7 MB) and here (561 KB). They both look identical to me, but different quality settings were used, so maybe there is some difference...

    BTW, thanks for the slides. It was a nice introduction.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home